Michael Strickland's blog on all things travel: news, deals, destinations, dreams and more.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Europe's Christmas markets - $499 Danube cruise

For countless years, I've wanted to spend part of the holiday season touring the many Christmas markets in Europe. Some of the most popular ones are to be found in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but it's a common tradition in many parts of the continent. There's something about the Old World setting for an Old World tradition that makes a magical season seem even more magical.

I can't even recall when I first heard about Europe's Christmas markets, nor when this whimsical idea first formed in my mind. I believe I saw a travel program that showcased the markets (probably Rick Steves), and that's all it took to set my imagination alight. Someday, I hope to make this fantasy of mine a reality.

If this idea appeals to you as well, and you're casting about for cheap holiday travel ideas, check out this special deal (which is what brought this to mind months before Christmas): five nights cruising the Danube, including 14 meals, with shore excursions to Christmas markets in Vienna, Passau and Regensburg, all for $499. Find all the details here.


[Disclosure: I am not affiliated with this travel operator in any way, and I have not vetted the offer, so do your own research. On the surface, it seems like a great deal.]
 

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Strickland said...

My friend John comments:

"I have been to many Austrian Christkindlmarkts and they are awesome. It is such a spirited time (both in alcohol and emotions). We aren't going this year and I am gonna miss it. And the Danube? We just took a boat down the Danube in July to Bratislava for a day trip. Seeing Europe this way would be cool!"

And he shares these photos:

http://www.ryanmelson.com/albums/Christkindlmarkt2005/photos/photo67.html

September 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home