Michael Strickland's blog on all things travel: news, deals, destinations, dreams and more.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Is the grass always greener?

Earlier this year, I waxed whimsical (as I often do) about my hometown of San Diego, describing it as "where I'd rather be." Now that's exactly where I will be in a couple of weeks. I've accepted a writing job with The Active Network, so Cassie and I are heading for greener pastures out west.

I left San Diego four years ago, as excited by the adventure of living somewhere new as I am about returning whence I came. It didn't take much time living on the East Coast to start second-guessing my decision to move, however, so I can't help but wonder what the future holds. Is the grass always greener on the other side of the country? Or only the grass you've never walked on?

Virginia and New York seemed bright and shiny and different, and they were all that and more. But always my heart turned back to the West Coast. Is it weakness on my part, to want what I don't have? A failure to be satisfied with the present? I don't know. It's possible that we San Diego natives are simply too spoiled to be happy living elsewhere. New York City is an amazing place, and it has been exciting living here; but—no disrespect toward those who love this city—I can't deal with the urban lifestyle. Once a beach bum, always a beach bum, I guess.

And I'm not returning home alone. I'm dragging my Hoosier wife with me, and she enjoys the four seasons as much as I enjoy year-round sunshine. So the coming months will be nothing, if not interesting.

Relocation chores will likely prevent new blog postings in the near future, but perhaps the muse will strike me during our cross-country travels.


 

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger dosten said...

Congrats! We will save some sunshine for you.

November 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Chuckie D said...

To all of us, at times in our lives the grass always seems "greener" somewhere else; whether it be geographically, a different job, more money, or just being in a different place in our personal lives.

But in the end it is only green if we are happy and content inside, and that can be anywhere.

(But if that happens in California you have won the lottery)

November 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home