Michael Strickland's blog on all things travel: news, deals, destinations, dreams and more.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Vienna Giant Ferris Wheel

Picture a Ferris wheel. Now imagine that each carriage is an enclosed room, not simply a seat. Inside, each carriage is furnished with a dining table, chairs and fancy table settings. Wrap-around windows provide the view one would expect from a Ferris wheel.

Sound like a fantasy? It's not—such a thing exists, and it's possibly the most romantic way to have dinner in Vienna, Austria. Think engagement, milestone anniversary, that kind of thing.

I haven't been on the Wiener Riesenrad (aka "The Vienna Giant Ferris Wheel"). I haven't even been to Austria. But I fell in love with the idea of this unique restaurant the first time I heard about it from Cassie's brother and sister-in-law. They were lucky enough to spend an evening having dinner in one of the luxury carriages.

So I'll add the Wiener Riesenrad to my list of things to see. Anyone else got a unique or weird place that I should see?
 

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Grandma said...

We watched a movie last evening, The Third Man starring Orson Wells and Joseph Cotton, which was a black and white 'thriller' released in 1949. The story was set in post-war Vienna and one of the sequences between Wells and Cotton took place in a carriage on this giant ferris wheel. While watching it, I thought that I had never seen a ferris wheel that had large enclosed carriages like this. And then this morning when I did my weekly Stricklandia viewing, there it was! Strange coincidence.

October 5, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home