Stricklandia

Michael Strickland's blog on all things travel: news, deals, destinations, dreams and more.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Via ferrata

This video clip, depicting a nail-biting hike along El Chorro's Camino del Rey in Spain, seems to be making the rounds via email. If you haven't seen it yet, take six minutes out of your day to watch it—but make sure you're sitting down, especially if you're afraid of heights!

My father sent me the link, along with the comment that I should add the location to my travel plans. I couldn't tell if he was joking, but if I found myself in the vicinity, I would definitely want to hike this trail! Sure, it looks dangerous as hell (according to Wikipedia, "many" people have died hiking it), but you can clearly see the guide wire onto which you can harness yourself as you go.

Which reminds me of a place in West Virginia I never got around to visiting when I lived in Virginia: Nelson Rocks. There, they have a "via ferrata," a so-called "iron way" that is common in Europe: a system of iron footholds, ladders and lines (and a harness) to make even the most challenging rock-climbing faces accessible to the average person [photo].

Now that the weather is warming up again, Cassie and I are casting about for potential camping destinations, so maybe we'll get our chance to check out the "via ferrata" this summer.
 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home